The Menlo Swim School is a year-round school that provides professional, goal-oriented swim lessons for all ages and levels, developing life-long competency and a life-long love of swimming. Find out more in our philosophy handout (PDF).
- Lesson Times
- Class Levels (also see our detailed Level Descriptions page)
For information on Adult Swim Lessons, visit Adult Swim Instruction.
All lessons are 30 minutes in length and are held during the following hours:
Monday–Friday: 9:00am – 12:00pm
Monday–Friday: 2:00pm – 7:00pm
Saturday: 9:00am – 2:00pm
Sunday: 9:00am - 2:00pm
Students progress smoothly through levels of instruction, graduating to the next level when they have mastered specific objectives. Beginners progress through Levels 1, 2, and 3 and then move on to stroke levels, starting with Freestyle, then Backstroke, Breaststroke, and Butterfly. We also offer Advanced Stroke level.
New! Menlo Swim School now offers Swim Safe water safety classes for children age 6 months to 4 years. More details.
Along with stroke level classes or after your swimmer has graduated from our program, we recommend our year-round Menlo Mavericks swim team. For swimmers who want an introduction to team workouts and kids currently taking Breaststroke and Butterfly, Pre-Mavericks is offered M–F 3:00–4:00pm. For swimmers ready to join the swim team, please visit the Menlo Mavericks home page.
We have Waterbabies for ages 6 months to 3 years.
To schedule youth individual one-on-one lessons, visit our Swim Pro information page.
A 10-minute evaluation is required for all new students wishing to register for levels other than Waterbabies, and Level 1. This quick evaluation is necessary to assign a child to the class level where he or she will make the most progress and be challenged appropriately.
The evaluation takes place in the water with an experienced instructor who has the child perform a series of skills. We create a low pressure environment and look at the skills the child has naturally. We assign a level based on three factors; age, swimming ability, and responsiveness to feedback.
Evaluation and level assignment are necessary before we place a student into a lesson time slot.
Just show up! Please arrive 10 minutes early to check in and have your child ready to swim at one of these exact times:
- Monday - Friday: noon and 7:00pm
- Saturday: 2:00pm
- Sunday: 2:00pm
- Level 1: L1
- Level 2: L2
- Level 3: L3
- Freestyle: FR
- Backstroke: BK
- Breaststroke: BR
- Butterfly: FLY
The Swim School registration process differs for currently-enrolled students and for new students.
To change your lesson day and time, please follow these steps:
1. Login to our registration portal with your username and password, and search open classes by day, time and level.
2. Once you have found an appropriate class, please call the service center at 650-330-2232 to complete your lesson change.
If you don't need an evaluation (Waterbabies, Level 1), you are ready to register. If you have completed an evaluation, please register online. Unless otherwise specified, all registrations are perpetual and run on a monthly billing cycle. For additional information, please call the service center 650-330-2232.
Cancellation Form for Swim School
If you would like to cancel your swim lessons completely, please fill out the Cancellation Form and submit in person, by mail or via fax. Cancellation requests may also be taken by phone through the Service Center, (650) 330-2232. Cancellation requests must be submitted by the 15th of current month to terminate recurring payment/membership for the following month.
Menlo Swim and Sport runs on a recurring billing system. This perpetual system allows your child to continue with swim lessons throughout the year, without the unnecessary hassle of re-enrolling every 10 weeks. Our registration system also has the flexibility to charge by the lesson, which will allow us to adjust for public holidays and months with different amounts of weeks. The group lesson charge will be $19/lesson, with semi-private lessons at $32 and private lessons at $57 per lesson.
Each monthly charge will be calculated based on your available lesson time and day – for example, if your child’s lesson is on Monday, and the month is May, with a holiday Monday, your account will only be charged for 3 lessons at $19, $57 total.
During registration you will see your lesson quantity and price totals computed for your frequency and day choices with holidays taken into account. The table below shows the range of pricing.
|Cost per 30 minute class||$19||$19||$32||$57
- January 21: Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- February 18: Presidents' Day
- March 31: Easter
- May 27: Memorial Day
- July 4: Independence Day
- September 2: Labor Day
- November 28 - Sunday, December 1: Thanksgiving Holiday Break
- December 23 – January 5, 2013: Holiday break for Christmas and New Year's
- Double diaper policy: All non-toilet trained children are required to wear a disposable diaper covered by a snug fitting reusable diaper cover. For your convenience, these are available for purchase at the front desk.
- No make-ups or refunds for missed classes.
- Menlo Swim School tuition does NOT cover any other services at the pool including the use of the Baby Pool or Open Swimming. These must be paid for separately.
- Mid-month placement depends on availability and is at a prorated fee.
- Mid-month cancellation does NOT qualify for a prorated refund.
- If you would like to cancel out of the current month you must cancel fifteen days prior to the next months billing.
- We cannot guarantee a specific instructor for a specific day/time for the duration of the month.
The Menlo Swim School is a member of the U.S. Swim School Association.